Tuesday, August 23, 2022

New York State Insider: Statement from New York State Senator Shelley Mayer.

 


Dear Friends,


I hope that with diminished COVID numbers, and some warm weather, you

are enjoying your summer and spending time with family and loved ones!

I am happy that I was finally able to see my siblings, nephews, cousins and of course, all my grandchildren together! 


I continue to be a strong advocate for abortion and women’s health rights here in New York in the face of the Dobbs Supreme Court decision. On August 9,

I authored a letter, together with 31 of my New York State Senate Democratic colleagues, urging the FDA to remove burdensome regulations and improve access to the abortion pill mifepristone. Existing restrictions are not justified given the safety and efficacy of this medication. 


As Chair of the Senate Education Committee, I continue to be focused on recovery from COVID, as well as supporting our students on their continuum of learning towards good-paying and rewarding jobs. The need for effective pathways from elementary and high school to college and onto well-paying careers has been one of the greatest educational challenges of our time.

P-TECH, or Pathways in Technology Early College High School Program, is an excellent option for some students here in New York State. I encourage you to read my post featured on the Albert Shanker Institute blog about P-TECH. 


In other news, I am pleased to share that after much work, the Legislature passed and Governor Kathy Hochul signed legislation to ensure our students are properly educated about the Holocaust. I worked hard with my colleagues Senator Anna Kaplan and Assemblymember Nily Rozic to get this bill to the finish line. More on this and other topics is available below. 


As summer comes to a close, home gardens across our district are blooming! Submit yours to my home garden showcase, Blooming in the ’Burbs, by Monday, August 29. And don’t forget to submit your child’s summer reading log! Each child who submits a form by September 1 will receive a Certificate of Achievement. More information available below.


Warm regards,

Shelley B. Mayer
State Senator
37th District

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York State Insider: STATEMENT FROM NYS CONSERVATIVE PARTY.

  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 14, 2024   Statement by New York State Conservative Party Chairman Gerard Kassar on Parent Replacement Act. “The...