Tuesday, January 3, 2023

New York State Insider: New York State Senator Pete Harckham: A PRODUCTIVE YEAR: 2022 Finishes with 23 of My Bills Signed into Law.

 


Dear Friend:
I want you to know that 2022 concluded as my most productive year yet in terms of having legislation I introduced being passed and signed into law, with 23 of my bills receiving approvals from the Governor, up from 16 in 2021.
New Yorkers continue to face immense challenges that demand real action, and so I made sure to draft bills that safeguarded residents, boosted our economy and assisted our municipalities.
Whether it means protecting our workforce or our environment further, helping veterans and those with Substance Use Disorder in new ways, or working together to ensure a stronger future for our communities, I will keep looking for innovative and inspired approaches to being productive.
In total, I was the prime sponsor on 176 bills that were introduced or amended, an increase from last year’s total of 137. The State Senate approved 56 of my bills and the full State Legislature approved 32 in 2022.
Notable among my bills signed into law this year was S.7788, which requires that 100% of in-state sales of new passenger cars and trucks shall be zero-emissions by 2035.
It should be noted that one of my most important bills from 2022 was enacted in the FY2023 State Budget: S.5116C protects and regulates wetlands and critical habitat areas by removing the jurisdictional barriers that old Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) maps have created.
A number of my signed bills were prompted by and advanced through my work as chair of the Senate Committee on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse. This includes two signed by Governor Hochul within the last week: S.5690 eliminates daily co-pays for visits to Opioid Treatment programs; and S.7378A requires the state’s Department of Health (DOH) to publish reports on the department's website detailing sales of opioids sold in the state.
Other key bills of mine enacted by Governor Hochul include:
  • S.8942 extends the service and efforts of the real property tax exemption task force;
  • S.8772A requires alternate generated power source at gasoline outlets so they remain open during storms and emergencies; and
  • S.8170 establishes the Judge James F. Reitz Memorial Courtroom in the Putnam County Courthouse.
And signed into law this past week, as well, were two more of my bills:
  • S.6805 requires that workplace legal notices regarding worker rights and protections be made available to employees electronically; and
  • S.8553A integrates 2-1-1 into the state’s disaster emergency plan.

Now, I am looking forward to a busy, productive 2023!
Sincerely,
Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York State Insider: STATEMENT FROM NYS CONSERVATIVE PARTY.

  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 14, 2024   Statement by New York State Conservative Party Chairman Gerard Kassar on Parent Replacement Act. “The...